Harry cooks!

Been changing our dietary habits here at Squirrel Haven. Trying to add in way more veggies, fruit, whole grains. Doing with less white flour and sugar (altho' the occasional dark chocolate has found it's way into my system with some red wine...)

I'm not buying meat.
Haven't bought meat since before New Year's.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love meat. I am a carnivore by nature. But I am trying to be more of a Vegetarian by heart.

But the fact remains that I still love steak and bacon.

What to do?

Well, the other night I got some huge Portabello mushrooms and marinated them in some Balsamic vinegar, a little soy and Worschestireshire Sauce and sauteed them in EVOO. Added a baked potato with some sour cream and some steak sauce and it was FABULOUS. The mushrooms cut like steak and the flavor was really good!

But what about the bacon replacement? Hmmmm.

I bought some of this:  Tempeh/Tofurky Bacon.


Yah, I know it's not bacon. But then again....why not try it IN something?

So this morning, Harry and I cooked together. I took pictures because he never cooks with me and I was happy that he helped.

I like to use what I have on hand, and so looking through my fridge I found a lonely tube of refrigerator biscuits, fresh local eggs, some red pepper, mushrooms and mozzerrella cheese.

So here's what we did:

Sprayed a pan with some Organic Olive Oil.

I had Harry smush some biscuits down.....

we added some of the Tempeh "bacon" already fried,

some red pepper,
some mushrooms,


cracked some fresh eggs in on top,

and shredded cheese to top it.

Baked it at about 400 for 18-20 minutes

and Voila!!

It certainly didn't suck~ Actually, it was pretty fabulous.

Just had to add coffee.

Harry had seconds. Me too.

Try substituting some of these meatless variations in with your cooking. They cost a little less, there is less saturated fat, less calories, good flavor...

and well.... Nobody dies. :)

No comments: