A Minstrel saves a Wedding... & has a Wild Hair for dessert.......

To finish the story from "A Minstrel's Country Life" from yesterday, I will tell thee that Abby’s hamster was found (YAY!!) and I could breathe WAY better.

After being put back in his cage, the wee ratty drank a bunch of water, and crashed and burned. I'm sure he was thirsty and exhausted after being out of his safe environment for 24 hours with a loose cat in the area where he was found....
I think Kitty was waiting for the hamster?

I gave gifts of some veggies to both him and the real ratty that they have. They were grateful for the snap peas, carrots and zucchini slices.

And, I, personally, I felt a whole lot better for watching their menagerie and being responsible for it while they were away working. 

It was a gorgeous day and a beautiful night! 

Harry and I surely enjoyed the day with less heat and humidity, thanks to the rain that morning and the front that was moving in. Hopefully it would push off in time for Jay & Abby’s performance at their faire, and for the wedding that Harry & I were playing for later in the afternoon.

We arrived in Plymouth at the dock at 3:30pm, a bit early, but we were glad of the extra time in the end. It was hard to find a place close by to park and unload gear (we had brought instruments/music stand/wireless mic rig) for our part in Dee & Francis’s big day and ceremony at 5pm aboard the Pilgrim Belle paddleboat. It was going to be a sunset cruise for about 60 people.

The ship was not there yet, as it was out on a cruise, but was returning at any time. I saw a sign that said, “Next Cruise-4pm”. I felt a chill, and I spoke with the ticket taker, Sandy, and said:
“Hi, we are the musicians for the wedding at 5pm for Flannery & Zipeto.” She said, “You mean, the wedding that’s at 7pm.”

I said, “No, for the wedding that’s at 5pm. You have a cruise going out at 4? When is it back?”

(Oh dear)

I sensed a big cluster fuck about to hit the fan. 
“I think we should call the bride, because my information does not match yours, and I don’t want there to be any problems for them. For now, please don’t send out the 4pm cruise, as it won’t be back in time.” 

Oh fuck. 

This wasn’t good. Sandy started frantically looking at her notes and calling the cruise director. I got Dee’s number and was about to drop a major bomb of possible proportions on an already busy and frantic bride. I wanted to spare Dee any problems, in particular, as she’s had so many harsh realities dealt to her with severe health problems (she suffers from Sarcoid and has had a pace maker put in as well, changing the shape of her wedding dress from an off the shoulder to a halter to hide the scar) and from a couple of former boyfriends who really were problematic.  She had finally found someone who has made her glow and relax and be herself and we wanted to do our part to make it happen.
“Here’s her phone number” I said and gave Sandy the number and we called the bride.

Oh yes, there was a huge problem. Evidently, it was a blessing that Harry & I got there early to setup, because if we hadn’t, there wouldn’t have been a ship there for Dee, her groom, the Justice of the Peace or her bridal party and guests when they arrived,  for evidentally, the boat company planned on it going out at 4pm! Even after Francis had personally confirmed all arrangements just a week before!

Thankfully, the catastrophe that had almost happened, didn’t, and we awaited the bride to arrive by rickshaw down the pier. It was a lovely evening after all! 
The Fates smiled upon this couple in love~

Providence was on her side, for she boarded the boat, she & Francis said their vows to a beautiful moment of friends and family, 

and then? 


We were delayed in disembarking for about a ½ hour until the weather cleared and it turned out into a fine night after all, with them both happily married, on a dry deck in beautiful DRY wedding garments on a boat that was THERE. 


There was a RAINBOW for the wedding couple! 
Truly a message to tell the newlyweds that this was a Goodly Bond of a Promise.

Harry & I had fun playing music and got the family (mostly Irish) to sing along to “Molly Malone” and “The Scotsman” was a special request for one Scot who’d been in the country for a few years. Dee’s son, Zachary, about 18, even made a beautiful raspberry chocolate filled cake for the wedding, as he wants to be a pastry chef!

Not bad, eh?? And it was as delicious as it was beautiful!

After our music portion was done, and we hosted the toasts and storytelling, it was a lovely cruise on a calm lake, supper and drinks for us all. 

The Captain of the Pilgrim Belle was especially smitten with our music and asked for several pieces from us personally. We loaded out our gear and we boarded a "pedicab" (rickshaw) and were delivered (with gear!) to our car by two very rugged handsome young men that lugged us and all our instruments!
We drove back to Jay & Abby’s and got lost a bit, but finally made it home at almost the stroke of midnight to let in the doggy and pen the chickens. Late, but better late than never.

 And then? Our key wouldn’t work in the lock. 

Oh Fuck. AGAIN.

Merlyn had gone round and locked up their house nice and tight (dammit) before she left as she was good to do….but now the key was NOT opening the door. I give credit to my Mate, Harry. He is a stubborn man when it comes to popping locks, and after about 10 minutes (where I was plotting alternatives as I stood there loaded with gear, and a very tired doggy that wanted to go in) he managed to trip the lock!
HOME! (ish :)

The next morning found us wanting a bit more adventure, as we were not really that far (in the grand scheme of things) to go into Cape Cod, I mean, “as long as we are here”.  We drove past the Sam Fuller School and had to get a picture for him. 

Sam Fuller is not only Harry’s brother’s name, but it is also most likely the historical family member of his from days of the Mayflower.

We drove around and saw a map and were looking for some place to visit, on a wild hair, and I saw the word, “Yarmouth” on the Cape Cod map.

 “Oh look Harry! We can go to Yarmouth Town, just like the song!”


“In Yarmouth Town there lived a man, and he kept a tavern down by the sand.       A Landlord and a daughter fair, a plump little thing with long yellow hair.

(Chorus: Oh, won’t you come down? Won’t you come down? Won’t you come down to Yarmouth Town)

At closing time, a sailor man, he asked the daughter for her hand, “Oh why should I marry and share my bed, when I get all I want without being wed?

“But if you want with me to linger, I’ll tie a piece string all around my finger and as you pass by, just pull the old string…and I’ll come down and let you in” 

So at closing time, the sailor man, he went to the tavern down by the sand, and as he passed by he pulled the old string, she’s come down and let him in.

Well, he never seen such a sight before, the little piece of string was all that she wore, and as he passed by, he pulled the old string, she threw open the covers and let him in”

Well, he stayed with her the whole night through, early next morning went back to his crew, and he told them all about his maiden fair, the plump little thing with long yellow hair.

Well, very soon the word got round, and the very next night in Yarmouth Town, there was 15 sailors pulling on the string, she’s come down and let them in.

Now all young fellahs into Yarmouth go, there’s a plump little thing with her hair hanging low, and all ye got to do is pull the old string, and she’ll come down and let you in.

(Oh, won’t you come down? Won’t you come down? Won’t you come down to Yarmouth Town)

YAH. It’s a friendly place. :)

 So, Harry & I thought we’d go check it out and have a pint before we headed back to our home port.

Found this place, and we thought it was perfect! 

A lovely warm and posh place, and a nice earthy bar to get the dust out of our traveling mouths. Of course, I had to get rid of the “rented beer” so I excused myself and went to the ladies’ room.

I had to laugh while I was in there taking care of business….

There was something I’d never seen before on the sink. 
It was a bowl of “Tropical Salt Scrub” offered as a decadent nicety for the patrons there, with a sign that said:
“Free Hand Massage! 
Just take a spoonful and rub on dry hands for a minute, then rinse.”

I did. It was lovely and my hands are very smooth now.

So, all in all, you know what?

I can most truthfully say that TECHNICALLY, 
"I got a salty hand job at a pub in Yarmouth town”.

When I told Harry about it, he smirked and said:
“You used bath salts? You’re not gonna turn into a zombie and eat my face off now, are you?”

Which then amused us with quite a few “getting head” jokes to take us back home.

All in all....a pretty fun and successful weekend, if you ask me.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Sorry about the key bit...thanks again for minding the menagerie! Glad that you two saved the day for Dee-'all in a minstrel's day of work' eh? love you two!